HISTORY
 

IN THE TERRITORY

Helen Bailey Carson gave a deed to the public for one acre of ground. No provision was made for fencing or maintenance. In substance this meant that anyone could make use of the cemetery. This practice was followed for about 40 years.
 
The Bethany Rescue Home (AKA The Home of Redeeming Love) had burial ground for the deceased babies of their unwed mothers. They were brought to Olive Hill for burial. Rufus Miner Bailey (acting as agent for the cemetery) gave permission for the home to use a small area of ground adjoining the lot on the northwest corner. Originally the area was fenced. There are about 40 babies buried on the cemetery property (lots 14 and 15).
 
 

ESTABLISHMENT OF OLIVE HILL

A local group became interested in incorporating the cemetery and appointed William Rosecrans, Harry Holloway, and Arthur (Wink) Carson as a temporary committee to accomplish it, specifically for the purpose of protection and maintenance. James M. Bailey donated the legal costs of incorporation (1933).
 
Walter Goodman was elected Chairman, Harry Holloway Vice-Chairman, and Fred Bailey, Secretary.
James Bailey donated the granite marker "OLIVE HILL CEMETERY". Fred Bailey donated the flagpole.
 
Elizabeth McKeage Bailey donated $1000 to initiate the cemetery maintenance fund. The oil and gas mineral royalties for the property provided additional funding (initially from the Gypsy Oil Company who purchased the lease in 1929, later from the estate of the subsequent owner Berta Bailey Lay). The cost of supplies for the original fencing was paid by the maintenance fund, but Carl and Kenneth Goodman; Virgil and Vernon McKinney; Buell Fletcher; and Fred Bailey donated labor.
 
James and Ralph Bailey surveyed the property and allocated/marked existing lots. All graves that were not marked by monuments were furnished a permanent marker (with cement base) at the expense of the association. The lot owners provided paved alleys and curbs around lots 32, 33, 34,35, and 44.
 
Officers of the association contacted all families of those buried in the cemetery and asked for $25.00 (or whatever they could give) as a one-time donation for the perpetual maintenance fund. Nearly half of the families responded.
 
The policy of the association is to issue certificates of membership which grants voting privileges in the determination of cemetery maintenance policy. No deeds were ever issued for any lots, but a donation of $25.00 was established as a requirement for use of any lot (now $1000 for a full lot).
 
The officers of the association reserve the right to accept or reject any request for gravesite.
 
This web site is donated by friends of OLIVE HILL at no cost to the association. -- Contents are entirely the responsibility of the webmaster.
 
 
Contact
 
OLIVE HILL CEMETERY ASSOCIATION, INC.
Contact the secretary about cemetery business:
Donna Hocking, Secretary/Treasurer